Wednesday, April 13, 2016

What is the 37 Days of Positive Thinking Project?

The 37 Days Project came about because I realized I needed to change my way of thinking. I am going through the final stages of a divorce and had lived with anger and bitterness in my heart for far too long. I spent many months thinking about the things that brought me the most pain during my nine-year marriage and letting go of those negative feelings, and then sat back and realized that I now needed to fill my heart back up with positivity.

The idea for this project was inspired by Lent, the 40 days leading up to Easter, in which people typically give up a vice or a bad habit in order to be reminded of the meaning of sacrifice. This year I took that concept in a totally new direction and decided to give up negative thought patterns.
I, like many people, have depression and anxiety, so my thoughts tend to lean toward the negative and then get out of control, even though generally speaking I consider myself an optimist. So, I made a conscious effort to accentuate the positive every day for 37 days, turning negative thoughts, memories and situations into something positive.

Consciously changing my thought patterns made a huge difference in my entire outlook! So much so, that I've decided to keep going with it and change my focus every 37 days. By doing so, I hope to create a new life filled with enough joy, peace and happiness to sustain me through the bad times.
I dare you to try it for yourself, in whatever way works for you, and discuss your trials and successes. Let's learn from each other, and build each other up. Why? Because personally I feel the world could use a lot more positive thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment